(UNDATED) – Bloomfield Police Department is reminding motorist about the laws concerning funeral processions.
Indiana Code 9-21-13 governs the rules and regulations for motorists when encountering a funeral procession as well as those involved in the procession.
The key points are:
- Funeral processions have the right of way at all intersections. Motorists must yield the right of way until the procession has completely passed through. The only exception is by the direction of a Law Enforcement Officer.
- It is unlawful to drive a vehicle in between a funeral procession unless directed by a Law Enforcement Officer.
- It is unlawful to join a funeral procession for the purposes of utilizing the right of way.
- It is legal to pass a funeral procession on the highway using the left lane, when safe to do so.
- Driver’s involved in a funeral procession have rules they must follow too. Most notably, exercising due caution when crossing traffic at intersections.
When encountering a funeral procession, be patient, careful and allow them to proceed through. Officers appreciate everyone’s cooperation and patience in these situations.