(INDIANAPOLIS) – The most frequently asked question the Indiana Department of Revenue (DOR) receives during individual tax season is “Where’s my tax refund?” Luckily, DOR customers have an abundance of options to check the status of their refund including checking online, over-the-phone, or in-person.
Often the quickest and easiest option for customers is to use the online Refund Status Interactive Tool, which allows individuals to check their refund status 24/7 from any internet connected device. This tool can be found on DOR’s website at dor.in.gov by clicking on “Learn How” under “Check the Status of Your Refund Online or by Phone.”
Don’t have internet access? Customers can call DOR’s automated refund phone line anytime day or night at 317-233-4018.
By going online or calling the automated refund line, customers can access refund processing data in real-time to know exactly where their refund is at any time of day.
To receive refund status information, customers will need to have all of the following information ready:
- Social Security number of the taxpayer
- Exact amount of the refund
- Tax year of the refund
To check on your federal income tax return, you will need the same information and can visit https://www.irs.gov/refunds and click the and click ‘Check My Refund Status’.
“Many customers still prefer to talk to a live person,” stated DOR Commissioner Adam Krupp, “which is why our district offices and phone lines are open Monday through Friday 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. to offer that experience. Customers who want a quicker response without the wait are encouraged to take advantage of our automated services.”
Individuals should keep the following in mind when waiting for their tax refund:
- Allow at least two weeks of processing time for electronically submitted tax filings and four weeks for paper tax filings.
- Processing a tax return may take longer if there are incomplete forms, missing information and/or errors.
- If there are issues with direct deposit of a processed refund, customers should contact their bank directly for clarification.
- Customers who receive any correspondence from DOR should respond immediately.
More information on checking the status of a tax refund can be found on DOR’s website at dor.in.gov/4339.htm or by calling DOR Customer Service at 317-232-2240, Monday through Friday 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. EST.