(INDIANAPOLIS) – Low-income and senior customers who need help filing their taxes can find free assistance through several programs offered by the Indiana Department of Revenue (DOR) and other trusted organizations.
The Department of Revenue offers the Indiana free file (INfreefile) program, a no-cost electronic tax filing program for qualifying customers. INfreefile allows individuals with an adjusted gross income of $66,000 or less in 2018 to file their state and federal taxes for free. More information on INfreefile can be found at freefile.dor.in.gov.
Programs offered by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), AARP and others are available to assist with tax filing across the state, including:
- The AARP Foundation Tax-Aide program – focuses on helping low- and moderate-income individuals, with special attention to those over 50 years of age. An AARP membership is not required.
- The IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance and the Tax Counseling for the Elderly programs – offer free tax help for individuals making $55,000 or less, persons with disabilities, limited English speaking taxpayers and individuals 60 years of age or older.
- The Notre Dame Tax Clinic is a federally funded Low Income Taxpayer Clinic representing clients in controversies with the IRS that educates individuals about their rights and responsibilities as taxpayers.
- Indy Free Tax Prep is a network of volunteer income tax assistance sites provided through the United Way of Central Indiana offering free tax preparation to individuals and families with a combined household income of $66,000 or less.
- The Indiana Legal Services Low Income Taxpayer Clinic serves the community by providing free legal assistance to Indiana taxpayers involved in disputes with the IRS.
“Providing options to assist customers who need additional help filing their taxes is a great collaborative effort among several amazing organizations,” commented DOR Commissioner Adam Krupp. “DOR is proud to work hand-in-hand with these organizations and provide the tools to keep individuals informed of their options for assistance throughout the state.”
More information on free tax assistance can be found on DOR’s website at dor.in.gov/4748.htm or by calling DOR Customer Service at 317-232-2240, Monday through Friday 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. EST.