(BEDFORD) – The filing period closed at noon Friday for candidates who are seeking to run in the municipal primaries in Bedford and Mitchell.
Open seats include the Mayor of Bedford and Mitchell, all seven Bedford city council seats and the Bedford clerk-treasurer.
As the race stands now, there will be a six-way race for the Republican nomination for mayor of Bedford and one Democrat candidate.
The winner in the Nov. 5 general election will replace Mayor Shawna Girgis, who announced she would not seek another term.
In the Mitchell Mayoral race, Mayor JD England will face former Mayor Dan Terrell on the Republican ticket. The winner will then face Eugene “Pud” Terrell the only Democrat who had filed at this time.
Here is who has filed so far:
- Rick Butterfield – Republican
- Sam Craig – Republican
- Rowena Cross Najafi – Democrat
- Robert Garrett – Republican
- Michael Hawkins – Republican
- Gene McCracken – Republican
- Sam Shaw – Republican
Bedford City Clerk-Treasurer
- Incumbent – Marsha Pfeiffer – Republican
Bedford City Council District 1
- Ryan Giffith – Republican
- Brian Skillman – Republican
Bedford City Council District 2
- Larry Hardman – Republican
Bedford City Council District 3
- Scott Howard – Republican
- Andrea Rope – Republican
- Brad Bough – Republican
Bedford City Council District 4
- Incumbent – Judy Carlisle – Republican
Bedford City Council District 5
- Incumbent – Penny May – Republican
Bedford City Council At-Large
- Incumbent – Adele Bowden-Purlee – Republican
- Angel Hawkins – Republican
- Daniel Bortner – Republican
- Incumbent- John JD England – Republican
- Dan Terrell – Republican
- Eugene “Pud” Terrell – Democrat
Mitchell City Clerk-Treasurer
- Incumbent – Mark Bryant – Republican
Mitchell City Council District 1
- Incumbent – Larry P. Caudell – Democrat
- Michele Wilfong Smith – Republican
Mitchell City Council District 2
- Nathan Jenkins – Republican
Mitchell City Council District 3
- Incumbent – Joey D. Slone – Democrat
- Roger “Brother Moe” Keith – Republican
- Perry Reynolds – Republican
Mitchell City Council District 4
- Incumbent – Everett Ferrel, Democrat
- Daniel Tolbott – Republican
Mitchell City Council At Large
- William Erdler – Republican
- George James – Republican
- Martha Arnold – Democrat
- Incumbent – Jessica Staggs – Republican
- Glen Gross – Citizens Party
Oolitic Town Council
- Incumbent – Dirk Sears – Republican
- Incumbent -Bill Kendall – Republican
- Mary Berry – Citizen’s Party
- Daniel Brooks -Citizen’s Party
- Bob Buel – Republican
- Leah Gross – Republican
- Phillip Hensley – Republican
- Gordon Hutchens – Republican
- Tangie Jenkins – Republican
- Steve Louden – Republican
- Scott Patton – Republican
- Jeff Reynolds – Republican
- Suzanne Sharpe – Citizen’s Party
- Chad Stevenson – Republican
List of other important dates:
- Monday, Feb. 11 at noon is the deadline for a candidate to withdraw from a race.
- Monday, April 8 is when voter registration for the primary election ends.
- Tuesday, May 7 is the Primary election. Polls are open from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Sunday, June 30 is the deadline for major parties to select a candidate to fill a vacancy on the ballot.
- Monday, July 15 at noon is the deadline for any candidate to withdraw from the election.
- Monday, Oct. 7 is the deadline to register to vote and update voter registration.
- Tuesday, Nov. 5 is Election day. Polls will be open from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.