(BEDFORD) – Several individuals have filed to run for public offices in Lawrence County.
Open seats include the Mayor of Bedford and Mitchell, all seven Bedford city council seats and the Bedford clerk-treasurer.
Wednesday was the first day that a major political party candidate could file a declaration of candidacy for the city primary. Independent and minority party candidates may also file petitions of nominations.
Candidates can file at the county clerk’s office in the courthouse – forms including financial disclosures and certified party affiliation, required when filing and can be found at the Indiana Secretary of State’s website.
Here is who has filed so far:
- Rick Butterfield – Republican
- Sam Craig – Republican
- Robert Garrett, Republican
- Gene McCracken – Republican
Bedford City Clerk-Treasurer
- Marsha Pfeiffer – Republican
Bedford City Council District 1
- Ryan Giffith – Republican
- Brian Skillman – Republican
Bedford City Council District 2
- Larrry Hardman – Republican
Bedford City Council District 4
- Judy Carlisle – Republican
Bedford City Council At-Large
- Adele Bowden-Purlee – Republican
- Angel Hawkins – Republican
- Dan Terrell – Republican
- Eugene “Pud” Terrell – Democrat
Mitchell City Council District 1
- Larry P, Caudell – Democrat
Mitchell City Council District 3
- Joey D. Slone – Democrat
Mitchell City Council District 4
- Everett Ferrel, Democrat
- Jessica Staggs – Republican
List of other important dates:
- Friday, Feb. 8 at noon is the deadline for major party candidates to file a declaration of candidacy.
- Monday, Feb. 11 at noon is the deadline for a candidate to withdraw from a race.
- Monday, April 8 is when voter registration for the primary election ends.
- Tuesday, May 7 is the Primary election. Polls are open from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Sunday, June 30 is the deadline for major parties to select a candidate to fill a vacancy on the ballot.
- Monday, July 15 at noon is the deadline for any candidate to withdraw from the election.
- Monday, Oct. 7 is the deadline to register to vote and update voter registration.
- Tuesday, Nov. 5 is Election day. Polls will be open from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.