(BEDFORD) – The deadline to file for a political office is fast approaching.
Open seats include the Mayor of Bedford, all seven Bedford city council seats, the clerk-treasurer position will be on the ballot in the November 2019 election.
According to the voter registration office, Wednesday, Jan. 9 is the first day that a major political party candidate may file a declaration of candidacy for the city primary. Independent and minority party candidates may also file petitions of nominations.
- Friday, Feb. 8 at noon is the deadline for major party candidates to file a declaration of candidacy.
- Monday, Feb. 11 at noon is the deadline for a candidate to withdraw from a race.
- Monday, April 8 is when voter registration for the primary election ends.
- Tuesday, May 7 is the Primary election. Polls are open from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Sunday, June 30 is the deadline for major parties to select a candidate to fill a vacancy on the ballot.
- Monday, July 15 at noon is the deadline for any candidate to withdraw from the election.
- Monday, Oct. 7 is the deadline to register to vote and update voter registration.
- Tuesday, Nov. 5 is Election day. Polls will be open from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Candidates can file at the county clerk’s office in the courthouse – forms including financial disclosures and certified party affiliation, required when filing and can be found at the Indiana Secretary of State’s website.