Firefighters respond to Lehigh after reports of possible fire Saturday night

MITCHELL – Marion and Mitchell Volunteer Fire Departments responded to a possible garage fire at the Lehigh Hanson Plant at 180 Meridian Road at 8:52pm on Saturday, April 9th.

Marion and Mitchell Volunteer Fire Departments at the scene

Upon arrival, crews found a bin containing coal that had spontaneously combusted at the plant. The structure was an open-air concrete, wood, and plastic shelter to store the coal for operations at the plant. Crews extinguished the fire on the wooden frame and plastic and had to remove one support board from the structure.

Lehigh personnel brought a loader into a cycle of the coal in place. Crews remained on the scene until 10:04 pm. No injuries were reported, and minimal damage was caused to the structure.