INDIANA – Indiana Wesleyan University is excited to invite high school students to participate in the Wildcat Summer Academy, which offers a variety of weeklong enrichment camps, many led by IWU faculty. The affordable and all-inclusive camp experience is back this summer and will take place on June 19-24 on the residential campus in Marion, Indiana. Students will stay overnight in campus residence halls with their fellow campers, giving them a taste of college life.
New camp options for this year’s Wildcat Summer Academy include Urban Farming Camp, Engineering Camp, Social Media Camp, Forensic Science Camp, and more.
The Wildcat Summer Academy provides students unique enrichment, inspiration, and the opportunity to develop skills to be used for a lifetime. Wildcat Summer Academy students will understand the Christian faith in the context of their specific area of interest and enjoy the opportunity for spiritual growth and development.
“The Wildcat Summer Academy is a great opportunity for high school students to explore a variety of interest areas as they consider their future careers and educational pursuits,” said Cindy Ketcham, associate vice president of academic operations. “Students experience a week full of hands-on learning and personal instruction, all while living on campus and connecting with students that have similar interests.”
The base cost of Wildcat Summer Academy is $375. Total cost varies depending on the camp. To register or to learn more, visit www.indwes.edu/summer-academy/.
All camp options for 2022 include:
- Art Camp– Spend an intensive week focusing on your artistic ability – drawing, painting, digital design and photography. Campers will create original work over the course of the week that will be displayed during the final reception on Friday night.
- Engineering Camp– Campers will learn basic digital logic and integrated circuit (IC) design while participating in hands-on labs and group projects – learning how to solder, assemble electronic components and build electrical circuits.
- Nursing Camp– Explore the career of nursing and participate in hands-on, interactive opportunities through field trips, skills development, simulations, CPR and first aid training.
- Computer Science Camp– Campers will learn the fundamentals of Python through game development. Build applications that expose you to programming principles and ultimately build a simple, yet functional, computer game.
- Songwriting & Music Camp– Choose between a songwriting track or a general musicianship track. Enjoy making music in a collaborative environment.
- Theatre Camp– Learn skills in acting, theatre games, and improvisation. Camp will include closing performances of monologues, scenes, and audience participation!
- Forensic Science Camp – Learn the latest techniques in DNA analysis, fingerprinting, bone identification and other methods used by forensic scientists. Students will collect evidence from simulated crime scenes to analyze and solve crime.
- Social Work, Service & Social Justice Camp– Campers will grapple with real world issues of poverty, equality, advocacy, inclusion, and social justice from a Christian worldview. Practice basic active listening counseling skills, case management, and participate in a service-learning project.
- Urban Farming Camp– Experience a week-in-the-life at our campus farm featuring berries, vegetables, herbs, flowers and honey bees. Using our two-acre diversified urban farm there will be opportunities to gain experience in plant propagation, soil and water testing and insect identification.
- Multimedia Production Camp– In a world saturated with media, campers will learn skills to tell non-fiction stories through still images, audio, and video centered on a website.
- Social Media for Positive Impact and Influence- Campers will learn what it really means to be an online influencer and how to not fall into the ‘social media comparison’ trap, and how to build a personal brand.
- Writing Camp– Explore your talent and develop your writing skills by creating original works of poetry, short stories, fiction, non-fiction and more.