(INDIANAPOLIS) – Beginning this week, motorists will see the first signs of movement on the nearly $320 million project to redesign and reconstruct the I-65/I-70 North Split interchange in the northeast corner of downtown Indianapolis. The Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) announced the following overnight lane restrictions:
Overnight lane closures along the left and right shoulders of I-65 from near the 21st St. exit (mile marker 114), through the North Split, and along I-70 near Emerson Ave. (mile marker 88) to the North Split. Work is expected along both the highway and ramp shoulders for installation of signage and traffic control measures. The impact to traffic is expected to be minimal with lane closures scheduled to begin at 10 p.m. each night beginning Mon., Dec. 14 and completed by 5 a.m. each morning ending Sat., Dec. 19, weather dependent.
Crews will complete milling and temporary pavement work along the inside left shoulder of the I-65/I-70 southbound exit ramp to Michigan St. Overnight closures from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. are expected on Tues., Dec.15 and Wed., Dec. 16, weather dependent. The inside left shoulder and left lane (from mile markers 112.3 to 112.9) will be closed to complete this work in preparation for the upcoming Michigan St. ramp closure.
Overnight lane and shoulder closures will be in place along eastbound I-70 between mile markers 83 and 85 (Rural St./Keystone Ave.) the evenings of Mon., Dec. 21 and Tues., Dec. 22, weather dependent. During this time, the inside left shoulder and left lane of the I-65 southbound to 1-70 eastbound ramp will be closed from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. the next morning while crews demolish the existing barrier wall to place temporary pavement for a future traffic shift.
Additional construction activity will begin in January 2021. The following activities are scheduled to begin after the New Year:
- In January 2021, construction crews will close the ramp from I-65/I-70 southbound to Michigan St. The Michigan St. ramp will remain closed until May 2021, and the Ohio St. and Fletcher Ave. ramps will remain open throughout the duration of the Michigan St. ramp closure.
- Also, beginning in January 2021, bridge demolition and reconstruction activities will occur throughout the project area, and intermittent, overnight lane closures will be required. Closures along adjacent streets are not allowed to maintain traffic flow and access. Local street closures from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. may occur at the following locations:
- Roosevelt Ave. at Commerce Ave. under I-70 eastbound
- Central Ave. under the I-65 southbound entrance ramp and I-65 northbound exit ramp
- Alabama St. under I-65 east-and-westbound
- N. Delaware St. under I-65 east-and-westbound
- St. Clair St. under northbound and southbound I-65/I-70
Detailed maps with closure and access information can be found here: https://northsplit.com/maps/
INDOT encourages drivers to slow down, exercise caution and drive distraction-free through all work zones.