(ORLEANS) – The Orleans Police Department offered the following Halloween Safety Tips for a safe and fun Trick or Treating experience.
- When trick treating consider using reflective tape on costumes and bags for Trick or Treating for greater visibility.
- A parent or guardian should accompany children as they make their way around the neighborhoods.
- Have children carry flashlights or glow sticks to keep them easily visible to other trick or treaters and vehicles transporting children to different locations.
- Stay in a group when possible.
- When Trick or Treating stay on the sidewalk when possible when no sidewalks are present walk on the far side of the street and be alert to the traffic around your location.
- Statistics tell us that children are more than twice as likely to be killed by a car while walking on Halloween Night at any other time of the year.
- When handling out treats on Halloween, make sure to not give out homemade or unwrapped treats to children.
- Adults should inspect all treats prior to them being eaten.
- Only eat candy that is in the orginal wrapper and unopened.
Let’s make Halloween safe and fun for everyone and remember only Trick or Treating at houses that have porch lights on.
The town’s Trick or Treating hours this year is 6:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. on Halloween Night.