Indiana lawmakers move to require parental consent for teens on social media following tragic death

INDIANA Following a week of emotional testimony and a push from Governor Mike Braun, Indiana lawmakers have passed an amended bill aimed at drastically increasing parental oversight for minors on social media.

The legislation, which originally targeted users under 16, was expanded to include anyone 17 and younger. This amendment was specifically requested by Governor Braun in response to the abduction and death of Hailey Buzbee, a 17-year-old student from Fishers who was lured online by a predator earlier this year.

Newly released court documents revealed that Hailey Buzbee met 39-year-old Tyler Thomas on Discord while playing video games.

The bill (SB 129/HB 129) imposes strict new requirements on social media companies operating within Indiana. Under the law, platforms like Instagram, TikTok, and Snapchat must:

  • Obtain Verifiable Consent: Companies must use “commercially reasonable means” to ensure that a parent or legal guardian has approved a minor’s account.
  • Implement Age Verification: Platforms are required to determine both the age and the residence of all users to ensure compliance with Indiana state law.
  • Restrict Addictive Features: For younger teens (specifically those 15 and under), the bill restricts the use of certain algorithms and “addictive” design features like infinite scrolling and automatic video playback.
  • Data Protection: Companies are prohibited from selling or exploiting the data of Hoosier children for advertising or marketing purposes.
Governor Mike Braun

“We are losing the fight to protect our children,” Governor Braun said during a recent press conference. “Hailey’s death exposed a massive gap in our laws, and we must empower parents to be the first line of defense against online predators.”

The “Pink Alert” System

In addition to social media regulation, the legislature is fast-tracking a proposal for a new emergency notification system dubbed the “Pink Alert.” This system is designed to fill the “gray area” where a missing juvenile does not meet the strict national criteria for an Amber Alert. Currently, Amber Alerts are typically reserved for cases involving a confirmed abduction and an imminent threat of death or serious injury. Because Hailey Buzbee was initially classified as a “runaway” after leaving home willingly, an Amber Alert was not triggered.

Alert TypeCurrent CriteriaProposed “Pink Alert”
Amber AlertRequires abduction + imminent danger + under 18.N/A
Silver AlertSeniors/Disabled with cognitive impairment.N/A
Pink AlertN/A“High Risk” or “Endangered” juveniles who don’t fit Amber criteria (e.g., online grooming/lured).

The movement behind “Hailey’s Law” has been driven by the teen’s father, Beau Buzbee, who testified before the House Education Committee. Hailey had been missing for nearly a month before her remains were discovered in Ohio; a 39-year-old man she met through online gaming is now facing federal charges.

“This bill wouldn’t have saved my daughter because she was 17,” Beau Buzbee told lawmakers, “but it will save the next 17-year-old. It gives parents the right to know who is in their child’s digital circle.”

The bill now heads to Governor Braun’s desk for his signature. If signed, the social media restrictions are expected to take effect on July 1, 2026.