MORGAN CO. – Completing construction of the new I-69 interchange at Henderson Ford Road will require several traffic pattern changes in Green Township starting on or after Monday, Sept. 13. Watch for flaggers and law enforcement directing traffic as the changes are made.
Henderson Ford Road traffic will shift to the new overpass, and the existing State Road 37 intersection will close. The changes will allow crews to complete earthmoving and paving for the I-69 interchange.
The temporary traffic signal for local access will move northeast to S.R. 37 at Ennis Road. The new S.R. 37 southbound exit ramp to Henderson Ford Road will also open to traffic.
Local access entering and exiting S.R. 37 will be:
- Southbound S.R. 37 may not turn at the Ennis Road signal and can use the exit ramp to Henderson Ford Road.
- Northbound S.R. 37 can turn right and exit at Ennis Road.
- Local traffic can turn right onto northbound S.R. 37 and left onto southbound S.R. 37 at the Ennis Road traffic signal.
To prevent traffic exiting S.R. 37 from blocking through traffic, sections of Ennis Road and New Harmony Road will close temporarily:
- Access to New Harmony Road addresses east of Ennis Road will be from Cragen Road.
- Access to Ennis Road addresses south of New Harmony Road will be from Egbert Road.
The temporary traffic changes are expected to remain in place through at least the end of the year.
Roundabout intersections are located on Henderson Ford Road near the new interchange bridge. Southbound Henderson Ford Road and traffic exiting S.R. 37 southbound will need to watch for and yield to traffic already in the first roundabout they encounter north of S.R. 37.
Roundabout intersections improve safety and traffic flow. They reduce conflict points and crash severity while increasing capacity.
Roundabouts are planned at most of the I-69 interchanges in Morgan and Johnson counties including S.R. 39/Morton Avenue, S.R. 252/Hospital Drive, Henderson Ford Road, S.R. 144 and Smith Valley Road. The roundabouts are designed for anticipated traffic, and many include roll curbs and concrete aprons designed to accommodate large trucks.
Learn more about roundabouts on INDOT’s website at https://www.in.gov/indot/traffic-operations/roundabouts.