MITCHELL – The Mitchell Community Schools experienced an increase of 71 students for the 2021-2022 school year. Kindergarten and 7th grades saw the largest increases.
Seventh grade saw an increase of 35 students with a total of 135 students enrolled at the start of this school year. Kindergarten saw an increase of 22 students with a total of 133 students enrolled. The total enrollment for the beginning of the school year for the corporation is 1,547 which is an increase of 71 students.
According to Assistant Superintendent, Jessica Jones, the staff has done an amazing job of getting ready for the school year. Technology staff and maintenance were able to quickly get through 57 work orders in four days. Jones spent the first day at the Mitchell Junior High School helping students getting lockers open and getting to classes.
“It has been a tremendous start to the school year, and I give credit to our staff and administrators, who were all ready to go this new school year. It has gone smoothly, however, there are a few things we need to tweak. The Mitchell Community Schools have learned several new systems this year to help with efficiency,” said Superintendent Dr. Brent Comer.
“We still need to improve communication between bus drivers, transportation directors, secretaries, and families,” said Dr. Comer. ” Overall, though it has been a great start, I was at all of our buildings this week and our staff was just incredible, they were ready to go and were positive and that was conveyed to the kids,”
In other business the board:
- Approved changing the October school board meeting to October 4th at 6:00 p.m.
- Approved advertising the 2022 Mitchell Community School Budget and the public hearing on the budget on August 30th at 5:00 p.m. The final budget will be voted on during the September 13th meeting at 6:00 p.m.
- Approved revising the pay schedule and benefits for tutors, aides, and paraprofessionals.
- Approved the staff evaluation plan for the 2021-2022 school year.
- Approved the addition of six contracted days for speech teachers. This is to allow to prepare for Medicaid billing.
- Approved a field trip for students to attend the FFA National Convention on October 27-30 in Indianapolis.
- COSMOS Joint Executive Session will be held on August 31th at Shoals High School in the library.
- The 2020-2021 and 2021-2022 New Mitchell Community Staff Reception will be held on September 13th at 5:30 p.m.
- Indiana School Board Association Fall Conference 2021 will be held October 11-12 in Indianapolis.
- Jessica Walls – Hatfield Grade 1 Teacher – effective July 27,2021
- Heath Snider – Hatfield Remediation & Mitchell Junior High School Health teacher effective July 30, 2021
- Corinne Henry – Mitchell High School Special Education Aide – effective July 23, 2021
- Joli Fleenor – Hatfield Fresh Start Aide – effective July 29, 2021
- Bridget Sanders – Hatfield Special Education Aide – effective August 16, 2021
- Jody Johnson – Bus #32 Driver Effective July 21, 2021
- Sonya Channey – Bus #10 Driver effective July 15, 2021
- Marci Ramey – Hatfield Grade 1 teacher – effective August 2, 2021
- Ashlee Duncan – Hatfield Elementary Aide – effective August 4, 2021
- Cheyenne McKnight – Hatfield Elementary Aide – effective August 4, 2021
- Emma Pruett – Hatfield Elementary Aide – effective August 4, 2021
- Susan Porter – Hatfield Elementary Special Education Aide – effective August 4, 2021
- Bethany Hudson – Hatfield Elementary Pre-school aide – effective August 4, 2021
- Matthew Harkness – Mitchell High School Night shift “C” Custodian effective July 26, 2021
- James Gammon – Burris Night Shift Class ” B” Custodian – effective August 9, 2021
- Robert Whtham- Burris Night Shift “C” Custodian -effective August 2, 2021
- Brad Connerley – Hatfield Day Shift “B” Custodian – effective A July 26, 2021
- Betsey Makximenko – Hatfield Temporary teacher leave coverage approximately August 23 – October 15 ,2021
- Wanda Allen – Hatfield Elementary Aide – effective August 5- September 15, 2021
- Marisa Lane – Mitchell Junior High School Cheer 2021-2022 School year
- Dennis Gratzer – Mitchell High School Football Volunteer – 2021-2022 School year
- Chris and Lori Bowles – Mitchell Junior High School Student Council – 2021-2022 School year
- Ben Burton from Hatfield / Burris Dayshift Class “A” Maintenance to Assistant Director of Maintenance effective September 1, 2021
- Anne McDade from Burris Nightshift Class “B” Maintenance to Burris Dayshift Class “B” Maintenance
- Kim Earl – from Bus #37 Driver to Bus #10 Driver effective August 4, 2021
- John Chenoweth – from Mitchell Junior High School Nightshift Class “B” Maintenance to Mitchell Junior High School Class “C” Maintenance effective August 2, 2021
- Jamie Clark – from Mitchell Junior High nightshift Class ” C” Maintenance to Mitchell Junior High School Nighshift Class “B” Maintenance effective August 2, 2021
- Melissa Passmore – from Hatfield pre-school aide to Hatfield Title I aide – effective August 4, 2021.