(INDIANAPOLIS) – To defeat the coronavirus and protect fellow Hoosiers, Indiana needs YOU to keep doing your part.
As Governor Holcomb said Saturday – “we’re stronger together.”
“We’re living in the real world here and it requires us to make some big changes. So, I want to thank every Hoosier out there that wants to be part of the many, not part of the few,” Gov. Holcomb said. We are going to get through this together and we’re going to be stronger together for it.”
And while you’re doing your part to hunker down, Governor Holcomb and his team are continuing to show decisive leadership. Here are some of the latest actions he announced –
Indiana State Department of Health:
- By the end of the week, our nurse surveyors will have been to all 535 nursing homes and all 232 free-standing facilities in the state of Indiana, helping them prepare by sharing guidance and reviewing their plan for COVID-19 action.
- We are working to extend COVID-19 testing in Indiana and hope to have additional in-state labs on board in the coming weeks.
- We’ve enhanced our data dashboard at coronavirus.in.gov. We’ll continue to update that daily.
Indiana Department of Transportation:
- We are seeing fewer Hoosiers going out – just yesterday, traffic on Indiana roads was down 41% compared to the last year.
- INDOT is maintaining Indiana’s highways for essential travel as we respond to the COVID-19 emergency.
- Our freight network plays a vital need in getting food and supplies to Hoosiers and we’re keeping our supply lines intact.
- INDOT employees are working hard alongside the Indiana National Guard, Indiana State Police and Indiana Department of Health to transport needed supplies to hospitals and healthcare facilities throughout the state.
- Our 2020 construction program is moving forward and on schedule. We’re building over 1,000 projects throughout the state.
Indiana Department of Correction:
- No DOC inmates have tested positive for COVID-19.
- Our correctional facilities have the ability to manufacture a number of needed products, and DOC inmates are in the process of starting to produce gowns, face masks, hand sanitizer, and other medical protective items. They’ll be able to produce 200 gowns and 200 masks a day.
And, as always, Governor Holcomb is grateful for all the Hoosiers who are stepping up, helping out and doing their part to get us through this crisis.
He mentioned his American Legion post developing a buddy check system so our older veterans are being cared for and getting what they need. Distilleries continue to make hand sanitizer; mayors are stepping up in their communities to provide for displaced workers and our pastors are helping to lessen the emotional strain Hoosiers are under during this time.
“We need you! We need the public en masse to do their part… this is too important. We can’t get this wrong,” said Gov. Holcomb
Governor Holcomb is an eternal optimist, but he’s also a realist. He knows we’re still in the middle of this and Indiana will see more confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the days ahead.
“So, THANK YOU to every single one of you who is doing your part to get us through this. We’re going to get through this, together,” he added.