(BEDFORD) – Hoosier Uplands says reminds parents and caregivers to properly choose, install and use car seats when transporting children.
Motor vehicle crashes are a leading and increasing cause of death for children younger than 13.
The following are tips to install a child’s car seat:
- Be sure to read the car seat’s instruction manual and your vehicle’s manual. Every car seat needs to be installed using the lower anchors or the seat belt to secure the car seat. If you decide to use the seat belt to install, make sure you read how to lock the seat belt in your vehicle manual.
- Information regarding placement/positioning of the car seat can also be found in your vehicle’s manual and the car seat’s installation manual. Car seats should not be able to move side-to-side or front-to-back more than one inch when pulled at the belt path.
- For forward-facing car seats, a tether strap must be connected to the tether anchor. This will help secure your child in the case of an accident.
- For rear-facing car seats, the seat must sit at a specific angle and level to ensure safety during an accident.
If you want to have your child’s car seat inspected by a certified technician, Hoosier Uplands is offering appointments and walk-in inspections at the following locations:
- Hoosier Uplands, Mitchell, 812-849-4447
- Bedford Head Start, 812-275-0052
- Loogootee Head Start, 812-295-4700
- Mitchell Head Start, 812-849-4448
- Salem Head Start, 812-883-5368
- Paoli Head Start, 812-723-3687