MARION CO. – Beginning Friday, Sept. 9 at 9 p.m., weather permitting, the Indiana Department of Transportation will reduce I-65 SB between Alabama Street and College Avenue (MM 113 to MM 112.4) to one lane for paving operations. Traffic will resume as normal on Sept. 12 at 5 a.m.
St. Clair Street is scheduled to open on Sept. 11. Starting Sept. 12, 10th Street will be closed between College Avenue and Highland Avenue until late September. Both EB and WB traffic will be detoured to 16th Street throughout the duration of the closure.
Also on Monday evening, Sept. 12, INDOT will implement a new traffic pattern for I-70 traffic heading westbound to the collector/distributor (C/D) ramp to Michigan Street. Traffic will temporarily shift onto new pavement and bridges to allow for ramp pavement construction and existing bridge demolition. During the shift, the Keystone/Rural Street ramps to I-70 WB will be closed.
INDOT asks the public to be aware of the new traffic shift and watch for slow traffic in the area.
The North Split reconstruction project will provide safer, more free-flowing travel for the thousands of motorists who use the interchange each day. Once complete, the new system will take up a smaller footprint and increase the walkability of surrounding downtown Indianapolis neighborhoods. The redesigned interchange will improve safety by eliminating weaving and merging, leading to better traffic flow.
Access to downtown can be maintained via:
- I-70 westbound collector/distributor (C/D) ramp exit ramp to Michigan Street (13 ton declared vehicle weight restriction effect)
- I-65 northbound/ I-70 eastbound exit ramp to Washington Street (13-ton declared vehicle weight restriction in effect)
- I-65 northbound and southbound to Martin Luther King. Jr/West Street
- I-65 southbound to Meridian Street
- I-65 northbound to Meridian and Pennsylvania Streets
- All existing ramps on I-70 west of the South Split
Project information can be found at northsplit.com.
INDOT encourages drivers to slow down, exercise caution and drive distraction-free through all work zones.
For up-to-date project information, visit northsplit.com or text “NORTHSPLIT” to 468311. Follow the North Split project’s progress on social media at: