Where is my additional tax refund

INDIANA – Are you one of the many Hoosiers eligible to receive up to $325 in additional tax refunds this year but have not received a refund yet? There is probably no need for concern. The Indiana Department of Revenue has systems in place to help you get your refund securely and as soon as possible without the need to contact us directly.

Who is getting a refund and how much?

Both Automatic Taxpayer Refunds (ATR) have separate eligibility requirements.

Only those who filed an Indiana resident tax return for the 2020 tax year are eligible for both refunds. If you were eligible for the $125 refund, you will either get an additional $200 direct deposit or receive one check for both refund amounts.

The Auditor of State’s Office (AOS) estimates it will take until mid-October to finish printing and mailing all Automatic Taxpayer Refund checks.

If you were expecting a direct deposit and did not receive one, or if you and your eligible spouse did not receive a combined payment as expected, you should expect to receive a check instead.

If you receive a partial payment for other reasons, you will get a letter explaining why and what to do next (the letter may arrive after your refund).

What if I did not qualify for the first refund?

If you are eligible for only the $200 ATR, you will not receive a direct deposit or check. Although there were proposals allowing eligible Hoosiers to fill out a form to receive the second ATR, the adopted legislation only allows DOR to issue the $200 ATR as a credit (towards your refund or any tax due) when you file a state tax return next year.  

To receive the $200 ATR tax credit, you will need to file a state tax return and claim the credit (even if you are not normally required to file a tax return due to your income) and meet the following eligibility requirements:

  • Receive Social Security benefits this year; and
  • Are not claimed as a dependent on someone else’s 2022 Indiana income tax return.

What if I want my refund by direct deposit or changed banks?

For your security, DOR and AOS cannot add or change banking information in our records. If your direct deposit does not go through for any reason, there is no need to call DOR or AOS because we’re already working on it. DOR’s system will automatically request that AOS send a check for any direct deposit returned to us.

What if I’ve moved?

If you are worried you will not get the check because you moved, there are only two ways to update your address: through DOR’s online services portal INTIME or by sending in a state form. After the post office returns your original check to DOR, our system will automatically check our records and send a request for a replacement check to the new address. This process can take a month or so after your original check is mailed. DOR and AOS cannot accept address changes over the phone or accelerate the process.

To update your address:

  • Go to INTIME at intime.dor.in.gov to complete the change of address process.
    • A user guide is available at the bottom of the landing page to guide you through the process.
    • Login is required, so you must have or create an INTIME account.
  • You may also submit a written request. All written requests must include both the previous and new addresses.
    • Individual Address Change (State Form 5684) is available for download through the Change My Address page on the DOR website.
    • If a married couple wishes to change their address, both parties must sign the form.

How long do I have to wait for help?

DOR will provide information on how to resolve Automatic Taxpayer Refund issues on our website on or around Nov. 1.

Why Nov. 1? Most calls DOR currently receives about these refunds cannot be resolved at this time. Nov. 1 allows time for eligible recipients to receive a refund check (even if they were expecting a direct deposit) and for most issues to resolve automatically. Plus, it helps us keep phone lines open and hold times shorter for those who we can help with issues unrelated to automatic taxpayer refunds.

You can find out a lot more about Automatic Taxpayer Refunds by visiting our website, dor.in.gov.