Bedford Fire Department fighters battle apartment at Cambridge Square Apartments

BEDFORD – Bedford Fire Department firefighters responded to a report of a fire at Cambridge Square Apartments Wednesday at 1:50 p.m. at Cambridge Square Drive.

Firefighters quickly evacuated the surrounding apartments while other firefighters worked at extinguishing the fire.

Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the blaze that started after someone was cooking.

The resident of the apartment suffered smoke inhalation and was transported by an IU LifeLine ambulance to the hospital for treatment.

Bedford Police officers assisted with traffic control at the scene.

Firefighters remained on the scene until 3:55 p.m.

Chief John Hughes said the smoke detectors all operated properly and alerted tenants to the potential danger.