INDIANA – Hoosiers can celebrate National Volunteer Week, April 10-16, by donating their time and talents to help maintain, improve, and restore Indiana’s natural and cultural heritage at DNR properties.
During this week, the Department of Natural Resources will thank and recognize those volunteers and salute their accomplishments on the Facebook pages of the DNR divisions of State Parks, Fish & Wildlife, Forestry, and Nature Preserves.
From maintaining trails to entering computer data, Hoosiers can celebrate National Volunteer Week, by donating their time and talent to Indiana’s state parks.
“Volunteering gives you a great sense of accomplishment,” said Jody Heaston, volunteer coordinator for the DNR Division of State Parks. “You know you are helping manage and conserve our natural and cultural resources for future generations to enjoy.”
Heaston said she hopes National Volunteer week participants will “catch the giving-back spirit” and continue volunteering with state parks.
Information about volunteer events and opportunities at specific properties is available at stateparks.IN.gov/2443.htm or by calling the offices at those properties.
Some examples of upcoming volunteer opportunities are:
- Indiana Dunes State Park’s 20th annual Friends of Indiana Dunes Plant Sale, April 9, 8 a.m.-1 p.m. For more information, call 219-926-1390.
- O’Bannon Woods State Park clean-up, April 9-12. For more information, call 812-738-8234.
- Ouabache State Park trail maintenance day, April 10, 1-3 p.m. For more information, call 260-824-0926.
- Pokagon State Park’s Woodland Window Clean-up, Sunday, April 10 at 2 p.m. For more information, call 260-833-2012.
- Salamonie Lake’s Spruce-Up Salamonie Day, April 10at 1 p.m. For more information, call 260-468-2127.
- Versailles State Park’s trash pick-up day, April 13, 1-3 p.m. For more information, call 812-689-6424.
- Summit Lake State Park, April 15, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Help build and place Leopold benches on trails.
For more information and to register, call 765-766-5873.