INDIANA – The Indiana State Police is accepting applications for the 83rd Lateral Recruit Academy. Individuals interested in beginning a rewarding career as an Indiana State Trooper must apply online at IndianaTrooper.com. This website provides a detailed synopsis of the application process and information on additional career opportunities with the Indiana State Police. Applications must be submitted electronically by (EST) on Sunday, April 17, 2022.
Effective July 1, 2022, Trooper Trainee’s salary increases to $47,000, plus approximately 200 hours of Paid Time Off and $3,800 of paid overtime during the academy. Upon graduation from Trooper Trainee to Probationary Trooper, salary increases to $51,000.
Probationary Troopers graduating from the 83rd Recruit Academy, who successfully complete their Field Training Officer program, receive a $5,000 one-time cash bonus (taxable) in addition to their regular salary.
- Post-9/11 GI Bill Benefits during the academy and probationary year.
- Military and Law Enforcement service purchase options. Service Purchase Calculator
- NEW take home patrol car issued after completing the FTO period (includes off-duty use).
- Uniforms and over $9,000 of NEW equipment issued at no cost.
- 3 hours of on-duty physical training per week.
- 40 paid days of leave annually and 150 hours of New Parent Leave.
- Health/Vision/Dental and Life Insurance options for actives and retirees.
- Lifetime pension and deferred compensation w/State matching.
- Endless Opportunities and Career Advancement.
Current Law Enforcement Officers:
Current Law Enforcement Officers having a minimum of three continuous years of merit full-time law enforcement service as of June 26, 2022, if they choose, will be assigned to the District where they currently reside.
Current Out of State Law Enforcement Officers having a minimum of three continuous years of merit full-time law enforcement service as of June 26, 2022, if they choose, may be afforded their District of choice, if their home state certification is determined equivalent to the Indiana Law Enforcement Training Board standards.
Basic Eligibility Requirements and consideration factors for an Indiana State Trooper (lateral):
- Must be a United States citizen.
- Must be at least 21 and less than 40 years of age when appointed as a police employee. (Graduation date is October 27, 2022*)
- Must meet a minimum vision standard (corrected or uncorrected) of 20/50 acuity in each eye and 20/50 distant binocular acuity in both eyes.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license to operate an automobile.
- Must be a high school graduate as evidenced by a diploma or general equivalency diploma (GED).
- Must be a current full time merit law enforcement officer (Indiana Law Enforcement Tier I Certification or Out of state equivalent) with a minimum of three years continuous service.
*Recruits in the lateral academy, will have periodic structured performance reviews with the Training Academy staff. Performance expectations for graduation on October 27, 2022, will be continually monitored. If your performance does not meet the criteria for graduation as determined by the Superintendent, you will have the option to continue in the traditional recruit academy with a graduation date of December 15, 2022.
Interested applicants can obtain additional information about a career as an Indiana State Trooper by visiting IndianaTrooper.com or recruiting Sergeant Kocsis directly at email@example.com and any Employment Services Section team member at firstname.lastname@example.org.