BLOOMINGTON – Kirk White, Indiana University’s assistant vice president for strategic partnerships in the Office of the Vice President for Government Relations and Engagement, will also serve in a newly created position, as IU Bloomington’s vice provost for external relations. The Trustees of Indiana University announced the position at its August meeting, and White begins his new duties immediately.
The role formalizes the crucial work White has been doing to help lead the campus’s COVID-19 response. White will report jointly to John Applegate, IU Bloomington’s interim provost and executive vice president, and Bill Stephan, vice president for government relations and economic engagement.
Since April 2020, White has co-chaired the IU Bloomington COVID-19 Response Unit. He was responsible for implementing policies and procedures to mitigate the spread of the pandemic and maintain a healthy and safe Bloomington campus environment.
While the position is new for the campus, Applegate said White has already demonstrated both the need for this role and its many possibilities. In the joint position with his assistant vice president duties, White will be responsible for university economic engagement partnerships with Indiana national security and defense organizations, reporting to Stephan, and will serve as the primary community and local government relations officer for the Bloomington campus.
“Kirk’s work on behalf of the campus during this pandemic has been outstanding,” Applegate said. “As a result of these efforts and working with IU’s amazing COVID-19 Response Unit team, he was a critical part of keeping the campus safe and open. I am delighted that the campus will continue to have the support that Kirk has so consistently provided at the highest level.”
White will continue to serve as the primary community and local government relations officer, advising the Bloomington provost on matters related to campus-community relations.
In addition to many other duties, he will:
- Develop cooperative relationships with local elected officials, including regular meetings between the provost and mayor.
- Represent the IU Bloomington campus on related boards and commissions, such as the Bloomington Economic Development Corp., Bloomington Chamber of Commerce and City of Bloomington Utilities Services Board.
- Coordinate the Town and Gown Committee and facilitate campus-community relationships with organizations, local school corporations, and neighborhood and civic associations.
- Direct the IU Bloomington Monroe County United Way campaign.
- Serve as external liaison officer on the IU Emergency Management and Continuity Incident Management Team and assist campus leadership in the planning, response and recovery for campus emergency situations.
- Continue to co-lead the COVID-19 Response Unit for the Bloomington campus.
- Serve as a member the provost’s senior staff.
Information from Jennifer Piurek, director of communications and special projects in the Office of the Provost.