Bedford to award 38 businesses COVID -19 funds

BEDFORD – Thirty-eight local businesses will receive the third round of COVID-19 relief funds according to City of Bedford Director of Business and Community Development Ashlynne Bender. Bender made the announcement during the Bedford Board of Works meeting Monday night.

Ashlynne Bender, City of Bedford Director Business and Community Development

A total of 42 businesses applied for the funding relief, with four of them either outside the city limits or not qualified to receive the funds. The grant of $260,000 will be distributed among the recipients. A list of those who received the funds will be announced at a later date.

Dewayne Turpen Battalion Chief Bedford Fire Department last day will be July 29th

Battalion Chief Dewayne Turpen is retiring after serving the City of Bedford for more than 33 years. He will hang up his helmet after his last shift which will begin on July 29th and end on July 30th. Turpen has served many roles throughout his career including a firefighter, fire inspector, and fire chief.

Bedford Fire Chief John Hughes requested to promote Jim W. Elkins as Battalion Chief to replace Turpen. The request was approved by the Board of Works.

David Flinn, Bedford Street Commissioner requested approval for an engineering study for the Indiana Department of Transportation public agency project and coordination contract. The project will replace regulatory signs throughout which include speed limit signs, stop signs, and one-way signs.

Indiana Department of Transportation will pay 90 percent of the project cost and the city will pay the remaining 10 percent.

The cost of the engineering study will cost $136,953. The total project is estimated at $1.3 million. The project is not expected to begin until sometime next year.