INDIANA – The Division of Fish & Wildlife is looking for volunteers to help at the State Fair Fishin’ Pond. You can help families register onsite, teach kids how to fish with cane poles, or tie fishing knots and untangle lines.
The Fishin’ Pond is open on Opening Day of the fair (Friday, July 30), then every Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. throughout the fair. The fair ends on August 22.
Volunteer shifts last four hours. Volunteers will receive free parking, a free State Fair ticket, and a free t-shirt. With four volunteer stations, there’s an opportunity for everyone.
The Learn to Fish program operates the Fishin’ Pond during the State Fair. The Fishin’ Pond started in 2006 to allow children ages 5-17 the opportunity to fish for free during the State Fair. Each year, thousands of kids fish at the pond and, for many of them, this is their first fishing experience. The program would not be such a success without the wonderful volunteers.
The pond has four volunteer stations and needs about 12 volunteers for each 3-hour fishing session:
- Guides (2): You will show families where to register, guide them to available fishing stations, and help where extra hands are needed.
- Registration (2): You will help parents register their kids to fish.
- Fishing (6): You will work directly with the kids and their families around the pond. You will assist 2-3 kids at a time during their fishing experience and help bait hooks, cast the cane pole, catch fish, and return fish to the water.
- Equipment (2): You will tie knots to hooks and supply the fishing crew with ready-to-go cane poles.
If you are interested in volunteering at the State Fair Fishin’ Pond, start by creating a Volunteer Profile.
Register for a State Fair Fishin’ Pond shift
Registration for State Fair Fishin’ Pond shifts occurs from mid-May through mid-August.
- Sign in using your volunteer username and password
- Click “Register for an Upcoming Event”
- Select event by station (e.g. State Fair Fishin’ Pond – FISHING)
- Choose time slot by clicking the circle next to desired shift(s)
- Click “Register” at bottom of page (the green checkmark shows you’re good to go – you’ll receive a confirmation email)
If you need additional assistance or have questions, email Learn2Fish@dnr.IN.gov.