LOOGOOTEE – On Friday, March 5, 2021, a Martin County Sheriff’s Department reserve deputy received a call from Loogootee Police Chief requesting assistance with a welfare check in Loogootee.
Upon arrival, officers made contact with the homeowner, who was identified as Alyssa R. Matheis.
When Matheis opened the door, both officers noticed a strong odor of burnt marijuana emanating from the residence.
Officers asked Matheis if she had recently smoked marijuana or had marijuana inside her residence. She admitted to having smoked marijuana prior to the officers arriving.
After leaving the residence, officers applied for a search warrant, which was later granted.
Later that evening, officers returned to the home and executed that warrant.
When officers arrived they found 27-year-old Taylor A. Kavanaugh, of Loogootee, standing just inside the open entryway to the residence.
Two additional males, 21-year-old Evan C. Helms, of Loogootee, and 26-year-old Jared D. Knepp, of Montgomery, were standing on the deck outside of the open entryway.
One additional male, 27-year-old Delmar D. Knepp, of Montgomery, was observed walking just outside of the residence.
Officers detained all four males.
During a search of the detained men, officers located a marijuana smoking device along with a container containing THC wax inside the pants pocket of Evan Helms.
When officers entered the residence to execute the search warrant, they recovered white powdery and crystal-like substances that field-tested positive for methamphetamine.
Also located during the search were a loaded handgun, baggies, marijuana, and paraphernalia.
Shortly after the search, Matheis arrived home and was taken into custody.
All those arrested were transported to the Martin County Security Center without incident.
Those arrested include:
- Alyssa R. Matheis, 35, Loogootee, was arrested for dealing in methamphetamine, possession of methamphetamine. possession of marijuana, maintaining a common nuisance, possession of paraphernalia.
- Taylor A. Kavanaugh, 27, Loogootee, was arrested for dealing in methamphetamine, possession of methamphetamine, possession of marijuana, maintaining a common nuisance, possession of paraphernalia.
- Evan C. Helms, 21, Loogootee, was arrested for possession of marijuana, visiting a common nuisance, possession of paraphernalia.
- Jared D. Knepp, 26, Montgomery, was arrested for visiting a common nuisance.
- Delmar D. Knepp, 27, Montgomery, was arrested for visiting a common nuisance.