(LAWRENCE CO.) – Lawrence County fire departments have been responding to illegal burning at several locations throughout the county over the last several days.
On Friday evening the Marshall Township Volunteer Fire Department responded to an illegal burn on Maddox Lane.
Marion Township responded to a reported illegal burn in the Riverview Addition on Sunday afternoon. Throughout the week several reports of burning of leaves and other fires were reported.
A burn ban is in effect for Lawrence County as dry conditions persist throughout the southern part of Indiana.
Martin County was the first southern Indiana County to draft a no burn ordinance. 13 counties throughout Southern Indiana now have burn bans in place. They include Fountain, Franklin, Daviess, Greene, Knox, Lawrence, Martin, Owen, Parke, Vigo, Vermillion, Orange, and Warren County.
So far, no citations have been issued with local fire departments educating individuals that the burn ban remains in effect. However, should a fire get out of control the individual starting the fire could be held liable for damages.
The Greene County Commissioners issued a local disaster emergency to ban open burning for the next seven days. The burn ban was issued at 4:00 p.m. Tuesday, September 22, 2020, and remains in effect.
Burn Ban Rules include:
- Campfires permitted with the use of a burn ring.
- Burning using a barrel with a wire mesh cover of 1/4 inch or less openings is permitted from dawn to dusk.
- Grills using gas, propane, briquettes or charcoal are permitted with charcoal being completely extinguished upon completion.
- No open burning of debris such as timber, brush, vegetation, building construction materials, wood or any other combustible material.
- The use of aerial fireworks is not permitted.
- The ban is enforced until lifted by Commissioners at the request of the emergency management director or advice from the county fire chiefs.
The Greene County Burn Ban is similar to the Daviess County Burn Ban which a copy is listed below of the executive order.
For more information on the burn bans residents can contact their local fire department.