FEMA Awards $1.4 Million Grant To Morgan County

(MORGAN CO.) – The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has released $1,423,058 in Pre-Disaster Mitigation (PDM) funds to Morgan County, Ind., for the acquisition of 15 flood-prone homes.

“The Pre-Disaster Mitigation program enables communities to implement critical mitigation measures to reduce or eliminate the risk of loss of life and property,” said Kevin M. Sligh, acting regional administrator, FEMA Region 5. “The acquisition and demolition of these structures permanently removes them from the floodplain and greatly reduces the financial impact on individuals and the community when future flooding occurs in this area.”

“These federal funds result in safer and more resilient communities,” said Steve Cox, executive director of the Indiana Department of Homeland Security. “This will not only mitigate future events but also help stabilize the future for the residents in these areas.”

PDM provides grants to state and local governments to implement long-term hazard mitigation measures. Through PDM, FEMA will pay 75 percent of the $1,897,410 eligible project cost.  The remaining 25 percent of the funds, $474,352, will be provided by Morgan County.