(MARTINSVILLE) – Some of the I-69 Finish Line progress to date will mean a big safety benefit for students returning to Martinsville High School later this month.
The Grand Valley Boulevard overpass opened in June and a sidewalk now connects the school with businesses on the east of State Road 37.
Martinsville Fire Chief Kevin Greene talks about the importance of the new overpass.
Indiana University is gearing up for the fall semester and students are beginning to drop off their items at dorms.
Students and families should be aware of several changes along the I-69 Finish Line corridor:
- The posted speed limit on State Road 37 is 45 mph from south of State Road 144 to State Road 39.
- Lane restrictions are in place where bridges are being built on State Road 37 near Egbert Road, Henderson Ford Road, Perry Road, and Waverly Road.
- State Road 37 is reduced to one lane just south of Martinsville.
- Traffic accessing State Road 37 from State Road 39 must slow to yield and merge safely with southbound traffic.
- Once you safely navigate the construction zone from State Road 144 to State Road 39, it should be clear sailing on I-69 to Bloomington.
- Large concrete beams will be set on the new Egbert Road bridge this week. Expect daytime lane closures Tuesday and Friday to set up and take down equipment and nighttime lane closures Wednesday and Thursday starting at 7 p.m. to deliver and install the beams. There will be 20-minute full closures overnight on S.R. 37 to install each beam. Beams were set on the Henderson Ford Road bridge last month.
- Crews are rebuilding the Morton Avenue entrance to the Martinsville Plaza. During the work, drivers will access the shopping center from Burton Lane. The improved Morton Avenue entrance is expected to reopen by late this week.
- The intersection of Egbert Road and Centennial Road is expected to reopen to traffic later this week. It closed late last week for work in the area. Multiple detour routes are available.
- Burton Lane reopened last week along S.R. 39/Morton Avenue after storm sewer crews completed their work in the area.
- Northwest Avenue access to Ohio Street closed last week to clear the way for a future I-69 interchange at the site. Drivers are accessing houses in the area from the north by using Holden Street.
- Rolling closures and lane closures are possible daily along S.R. 37 near Egbert Road, Henderson Ford Road, Perry Road, Waverly Road, and Whiteland Road.
- Perry Road access south of Perry Lane is detoured to New Harmony Road, Cragen Road, and then to S.R. 37. Work started late last week on a temporary driveway connection for Perry Lane. It should be completed in a couple of weeks.
- Country Club Road access to S.R. 37 has closed permanently. A new access road is being built to connect Country Club Road and Myra Lane along the west side of S.R. 37. A map shows the detour route for local traffic.
- York Street is expected to close at S.R. 39 at the end of the week or later. The closure is for the next phase of construction on S.R. 39.
- Partial closure of Morgan Street at S.R. 39 is expected late this month. The westbound Morgan Street turn lane onto S.R. 39 northbound will remain open. All other turn movements will be closed for about one week so Morgan Street can be realigned with the widened S.R. 39.
The I-69 Finish Line project office remains closed temporarily, but our Project Team stands ready to assist. Call 855-INDOT-4U or email INDOT@indot.in.gov to connect with our team. Find the latest news, information and traffic updates at I-69FinishLine.com, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram