Filing Taxes as a Student in Indiana? No Studying Needed

(UNDATED) – Filing a tax return can be confusing, especially for students who are often first-time filers. But the Indiana Department of Revenue (DOR) is here to help so you can spend less time worrying and more time studying (or maybe just sleeping).

One of the first questions you might have is, “Do I need to file an Indiana return?” Both Indiana residents and those who live in other states but go to school in Indiana may need to file, but their requirements are different:

  • Indiana residents must file if their wages and other income in 2019 were $1,000 or more.
  • Nonresidents must file an Indiana tax return and pay taxes on any income earned in Indiana.

You might also be wondering if you need to pay to file your state taxes. And the answer is—probably not! Thanks to INfreefile, anyone with an adjusted gross income of $69,000 or less in 2019 may qualify to file for free. Participating INfreefile vendors this year include:

  • H&R Block
  • TaxAct
  • Intuit Turbo Tax
  • TaxSlayer
  • OLT Online Taxes

Students may not qualify to file for free through all of these vendors, so visit for more information.

Also, be sure to check out our Student Taxes webpage which has tons of information about student taxes including definitions of common terms, FAQs, links to helpful resources and more. Remember, you’ll need to file your federal and state taxes by April 15, 2020.

Finally, please feel free to reach out if you have questions or need more assistance. You can call DOR Customer Service at 317-232-2240, Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. or stop by one of our 12 district offices.