(BEDFORD) – Lawrence County Highway Department and Department of Transportation crews are preparing ahead of today’s forecasted winter storm.
Road crews are taking the proper measures right now to be prepared for what hits.
INDOT will have a full fleet ready to go this afternoon. At 11 p.m. a new crew will continue treating roads into the morning commute. Crews will be pre-treating roadways, bridges, and overpasses which will freeze faster than the main roadways.
While crews are busy on the streets, there are things you can do, too. Remember to check your tires and the forecast before you head out, pack an emergency road kit, slow down, and pull over if necessary.
Here’s a list of essentials you should place in an emergency kit in your vehicle:
- Tools, including a jack, lug wrench, shove, chain
- Extra car fluids, including oil, washer fluid, antifreeze
- Non-clumping kitty litter, sand, or de-icer
- Reflectors and flags
- Road maps
- Extra warm clothes, boots, hat, and gloves
- Ice scraper and snow brush
- Cell phone and car adapter
- Rechargeable flashlight
- First aid kit
- Matches or lighter
- Battery jumper cables
- Extra food and water
- Blanket/sleeping bags
- Pocket knife