(POPCORN) – The Perry Township and Marshall Township Volunteer Fire Departments responded to the 4100 Block of Popcorn Church Road at 2:00 a.m. this morning to the home owned by Greg and Kathy Baker of Springville.
The residents woke up to smoke in their home. Firefighters say the fire was confined to the furnace of the home and no other damage was reported.
Perry Township Volunteer Fire/EMS wants to remind homeowners of the following safety tips:
Facts About Home Heating Fires
- From 2013-2015, an average of 45,900 home heating fires occurred in the United States each year.
- Heating was the second leading cause of home fires after cooking.
- Home heating fires peaked in the early evening hours between 5 and 9 p.m. with the highest peak between 6 and 8 p.m.
- Home heating fires peaked in January (21 percent) and declined to the lowest point from June to August.
- Confined fires accounted for 75 percent of home heating fires.
- Twenty-nine percent of the non-confined home heating fires happened because the heat source (like a space heater or fireplace) was too close to things that can burn.
- Heating Fire Safety Tips
- Heating Fire Safety Heating Tips
- Winter Fire Safety: Heating Your Home Safely
- Put a Freeze on Winter Fires
Safety and Your Tree— Quick Tips
- Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from heaters.
- Have a three-foot “kid-free zone” around open fires and space heaters.
- Never use your oven to heat your home.
- Always use the right kind of fuel for fuel-burning space heaters.
- Test smoke alarms at least once a month.
- Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.
- Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room.