ISP Investigating Police-Involved Shooting in Clarksville

(JEFFERSONVILLE) – The Clark County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office has completed its review of the police-involved shooting that occurred on the evening of Friday, April 26th.

Clark County Prosecutor Jeremy Mull reviewed the investigation conducted by detectives from the Indiana State Police in Sellersburg and advised the officer was justified in using deadly force against 43-year-old Max Helton and that no charges would be filed.
According to a Jefferson County, Kentucky Coroner’s Office autopsy report, Helton died from a gunshot wound to the chest.
According to Indiana State Police Sgt. Carey Huls, the officer involved is Patrolman Tyler Ash of the Clarksville Police Department. Patrolman Ash is a two year veteran of the department.
The review concluded that Officer Ash properly used deadly force after Helton pointed a firearm at the officer and after being instructed multiple times to drop the weapon.
At approximately 10:30 p.m. Friday, April 26th officers from the Clarksville Police Department were dispatched to the residence located at 514 West Howard Street after receiving a 911 call for a domestic disturbance, possibly involving a gun. State Troopers from the Sellersburg Post also responded to assist.
As a result of the preliminary investigation, ISP detectives believe that officers from the Clarksville Police Department and Indiana State Police arrived on-scene shortly after receiving the 911 call.
During the investigation, officers witnessed a male subject with a gun at the doorway, the man then retreated into the house and barricaded himself and the original caller inside the residence.
As the investigation continued, officers once again encountered the subject who was still brandishing a handgun. The subject refused commands to drop the weapon, and at least one officer from the Clarksville Police Department fired upon the subject and struck him. Officers then rendered first-aid to the subject who was transported to the University of Louisville Hospital where he later died from his injuries.
Chief Mark Palmer of the Clarksville Police Department requested the assistance of ISP detectives and crime scene technicians to investigate the shooting. This investigation is on-going.
Units from the Indiana State Police were assisted by the Clarksville Police Department and the Jefferson County, Kentucky Coroner’s Office.
State Police section divider