News Sections
Audio
19 People Evacuated After Fire Caused By Discarded Cigarette
Updated October 24, 2016 11:02 AM | Filed under: Fire
 Print    Archive    RSS

(INDIANAPOLIS) - Authorities say 19 people were evacuated following an early morning fire at an Indianapolis senior citizen apartment complex caused by a discarded cigarette.

The Wayne Township fire department says crews responded about 2:15 a.m. Monday to the Crestwood Village complex on the west side of Indianapolis. The fire was on the second floor and an 86-year-old woman was rescued from her balcony.

Three people were evaluated by medics at the scene and one was taken to a hospital with what was described as a minor medical issue.

Crews got the fire under control in about 20 minutes. The fire department says one unit was destroyed and eight units were damaged. Nine people couldn't return home and they are getting assistance from the township and the American Red Cross.



« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to comments@wbiw.com

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW


1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2017 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   WBIW.com and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback