WBIW.com News - state

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Fire Started After Girl Drops Lit Candle In Trash

Last updated on Monday, August 15, 2016

(COLUMBUS) - Columbus firefighters say a Friday morning fire was caused by a child playing with a candle in a bathroom.

Firefighters were called to the 1200 block of Eighth Street at about 10:45 a.m. Friday.

When they arrived they found a heavily charred bathroom door and counter along with a wastebasket and smoldering papers, which they fully extinguished with a water can.

Capt. Mike Wilson says that an 8-year-old girl dropped a lit candle into the trash can, causing the fire.
Damages is estimated at $2,500. 

There were no injuries reported and the home did not have working smoke detectors.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page