News Sections
Audio
Man Loses Hand In Fireworks Blast
Updated July 5, 2016 11:42 AM
 Print    Archive    RSS

(SOUTH BEND) - Authorities say a man lost his hand after lighting a fireworks shell he found while cleaning the parking lot near South Bend's zoo.

South Bend police say two men picking up litter as community service for the state Department of Correction found the shell Monday morning before the Potawatomi Zoo opened for the day. The explosion badly injured a 25-year-old's man and slightly injured a 21-year-old man.

South Bend Re-entry Center Superintendent Charles Bowen says the two men are near the end of their sentences and that the center has had inmates doing community service work at the zoo for 20 years.

Bowen says the injuries were unfortunate and point to the dangers of lighting unfamiliar fireworks.



« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to comments@wbiw.com

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW


1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2017 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   WBIW.com and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback