(INDIANAPOLIS) - Gov. Mike Pence was a guest on Fox News Thursday and said he's angry about how the federal government is handling a situation regarding immigrant children coming into the state.
He's angry the state wasn't informed.
"I mean it's just completely unacceptable that we found out about this in the newspaper," Pence said. "And I told the president that yesterday."
Pence sent a letter to President Barack Obama Wednesday expressing his concern regarding unaccompanied children crossing the nation's southern border.
Last week, the media reported that the federal government had placed unaccompanied children with sponsors in Indiana. Only after the reports, did the state find out from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services had located 245 unaccompanied children in the state.
In the letter, Pence called on the federal government to quickly resolve the crisis and provide more timely information to the states.
Pence stated in the letter: "While we feel deep compassion for these children, our country must secure its borders and provide for a legal and orderly immigration process. Those who have crossed our border illegally should be treated humanely and with decency and respect, but they should be returned expeditiously to their home countries to be reunited with their families rather than being dispersed around the United States in sponsored placement or long-term detention facilities."
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org