(GIBSON CO.) - A Gibson County woman says her 85-year-old grandmother lived in a Princeton apartment complex with an aid for two years, but now says her grandma is in the hospital and is emotional about not having a place to call home.
Megan Stranksky says her aunt was the first to notice an unusual odor in her grandmother's apartment.
"It permeated everything in her apartment," said Megan.
The family told 14 News the grandmother's aid went searching for the source and found hundreds of maggots in luggage under her bed.
Megan told us maintenance went to investigate a few days later.
"They found that her neighbor next door had been dead for approximately two weeks," Megan said.
The neighbor was in an 'advanced state of decomposition', according to the Gibson County Coroner.
The family told us it didn't take long for them to move Elizabeth out of her home. She's since been in the hospital with an unknown illness.
Megan says when they went back to check on things they saw caution tape on her door, and the neighbor's door had a gentleman out front in a kiddie pool, wearing a hazmat suit.
The man, they say, told them something they were shocked to hear.
"It was toxic... not even remotely livable," said Megan.
The Gibson County Health Department says they're aware of the issue, but don't have any proper documentation to prove there's any hazard at this point.
As for the grandmother, the family says they're still trying to figure out where she will live now that most of her belongings are gone.
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org