(UNDATED) - The Scripps National Spelling Bee kicks off this week in Washington, D.C. 14 Hoosier students will be among 281 other kids competing.
The spellers range in age from 8 to 15 years old.
The competition begins with preliminary computer-based testing today. The second and third preliminary rounds are Wednesday followed by Thursday's semifinals and championship rounds.
2014 marks the 70th year that Scripps has operated the National Spelling Bee.
ESPN will broadcast the Championship Finals from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. on Thursday, May 29.
The Indiana students competing are:
- Tristan Hankins - Anderson
- Alexandria Louise Wilt - Bloomington
- Alekhya Ankaraju - Carmel
- Vanessa Anna Jodlowski - Evansville
- Lwin Moe Aung - Fort Wayne
- Victor Xiao - Indianapolis
- Anastasia Spahr - Kokomo
- Andy Bertodano - Lafayette
- Jinwon Pae - Marion
- Risha Mehta - Muncie
- Hudson Wellin - South Bend,
- Kimmie Collins - Terre Haute
- SeanKenneth Ives - Wanatah
- Akshaj Mishra - Evansville
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to email@example.com