News Sections
Man Dies In Early Morning Blaze
Updated April 22, 2014 10:24 AM | Filed under: Fire
 Print    Archive    RSS

(SANTA CLAUS) - Investigators tell us a fallen cigarette was not the cause of a deadly house fire in Santa Claus, Indiana.

Bryan Gregory's wife, Maureen Gregory, told officials a cigarette she dropped started the fire.

WFIE reported, most of the walls of the house are burned from the top, but not so much at the bottom.

Spencer County Coroner Robert Fuller says that indicates the fire started near the roof instead of near the floor where the cigarette would have been dropped.

Fuller also points out the kitchen has the most fire damage of any place in the home.

Internal burns in the microwave lead Fuller to believe the fire started there.

The brother of Bryan Gregory, the man killed in the fire, says this is a relief to the family.

"It's very much a big relief to know that it is probably something more electrical, or fire, kitchen fire by nature, and not a cigarette," said Dan Gregory. "That's pretty far-fetched. My brother, he was a good man, very involved in the American Legion here, and the community at large. This is just a hard thing for our family to get through but we will get through it."

Dan says Maureen is stable, and is still at the hospital in Louisville.

She is now off of a ventilator and is able to stand and walk.

So far, no funeral arrangements are in place for Bryan, as the family is waiting until Maureen is well enough to attend.

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File