(UNDATED) - For the past several years, the Indiana State Police has recognized the pivotal role played by its Telecommunications Operators, now commonly referred to as Regional Dispatchers.
They use telephones, radios, computers, and technical skills to answer calls for emergency assistance and dispatch first responders to the site of an emergency. They also provide support to field personnel, the general public, local police agencies, emergency medical services, the National Weather Service and other governmental agencies.
Each year the second full week of April is dedicated to the men and women who serve as Public Safety Telecommunications Operators. In 1991, Congress proclaimed it as a National Week of Recognition. This year it is April 13 through April 19.
Regional Dispatchers for the Indiana State Police work from six Regional Dispatch Centers located in Bloomington, Versailles, Fort Wayne, Lowell, Bristol (Toll Road) and Indianapolis. They are responsible for dispatching Troopers and Motor Carrier Inspectors to calls for service in all 92 counties. Currently each Regional Dispatch Center is allocated one Regional Manager, three Regional Supervisors, and several Regional Dispatchers.
Those selected as Regional Dispatchers with the Indiana State Police must pass a written and typing test before they are interviewed to be hired. They are required to remain composed in many different emergency situations and have the ability to speak calmly and clearly. They must be proficient in the many tools of their trade which range from computers to multi-line telephones and dispatching equipment to fax machines. Indiana State Police Regional Dispatchers are required to become certified in entering information in the Indiana Data and Communications System (IDACS) and the National Crime Information Center (NCIC). They are also required to be certified in emergency medical dispatch.
Regional Dispatchers working from Regional Dispatch Center III located in Bloomington, are responsible for dispatching Troopers and Motor Carrier Inspectors working from the Indiana State Police Bloomington Post, Jasper Post, Evansville Post and the Putnamville Post.
Personnel assigned to Regional Dispatch Center III;
- Regional Dispatch Center Manager - Jimmie Durnil
- Regional Supervisor - Sandra Couch
- Regional Supervisor - Kim Erwin
- Regional Supervisor - Kathryn Haley
- Regional Dispatcher - Tammy Brock
- Regional Dispatcher - Angie Meacham
- Regional Dispatcher - Leesa Slover
- Regional Dispatcher - Joy Butler
- Regional Dispatcher - Tonya Beck
- Regional Dispatcher - Melissa Miller
- Regional Dispatcher - Britney Faris
- Regional Dispatcher - Paul Douglas Brassine
- Regional Dispatcher - Rebecca Roach
- Regional Dispatcher - Lloyd Scott Wilkerson
- Regional Dispatcher - Tina Siniard
- Regional Dispatcher - Joshua Pope
- Regional Dispatcher - Heather Brock
- Regional Dispatcher - Paula Summitt
Anyone interested in a career as a Regional Dispatcher with the Indiana State Police is encouraged to contact the nearest Indiana State Police Post or search online at the State of Indiana Job Bank at www.in.gov/spd/careers.
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to email@example.com