WBIW.com News - state

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Suspected Narcotics Dealer Dead After SWAT Standoff

Last updated on Thursday, March 6, 2014

(INDIANAPOLIS) - A suspected narcotics dealer is dead after opening fire on SWAT officers Wednesday evening on the city’s south side, police said.

Indianapolis police released the identity of the man early Thursday morning. Investigators said officers defensively shot Andrew Sizemore, 27, killing him.

The shooting happened just before 8 p.m. in the 1600 block of South State Avenue.

Indy SWAT officers were serving a drug warrant to Sizemore, described as a "high-risk felon" at the house of a "known drug family," sources said. IMPD said officers familiar with the house believed illegal drugs were being sold out of the house.

When police arrived to the house, Sizemore reportedly started firing his gun at officers from inside the home, authorities said. IMPD said officers feared for their lives and immediately returned fire, killing the suspect.

Sources confirmed one officer was shot in the arm, one was shot in the leg, one was shot in the vest and another took shrapnel to the face. IMPD said none of the injuries appeared to be life-threatening.

Police said one officer was treated at the scene, two officers were taken to IU Health Methodist Hospital and another officer was taken to Eskenazi Health. IMPD said all of the officers were alert, conscious and listed in good condition. Two officers were expected to stay in the hospital overnight.

Police confirmed all of the officers were men, but their identities were not yet released.

Four other people were inside the home at the time of the shooting, and they were not injured, police said.

During a search of the home, IMPD said investigators found illegal narcotics and other criminal evidence.

Police said they were initially tipped off about the suspect because of information from the public.

RTV6 dug up six police reports involving Sizemore, dating back to 2004, with three of them implicating he had a hand in criminal activity.

• When he was 17, he was accused of shoplifting from a Kmart in Indianapolis. No charges were filed.
• At 19 he was charged with criminal trespassing for walking on the property of the Village Pantry on his street. He had been barred from there following a theft incident.
• At 20 he was detained after being connected to a "threat to life" call. Essentially, Sizemore had been found with a man who had driven by a home and allegedly threatened someone with a gun.

Based on police reports, it appears Sizemore lived at the home on State Avenue for at least 8 years.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page