News Sections
Indiana Man Almost Loses Leg After Pedicure
Updated March 18, 2014 12:04 PM
 Print    Archive    RSS

(MUNCIE) - A trip to a Muncie nail salon turned into a nightmare for one man - he contracted an infection that nearly killed him.

Ten days after getting a pedicure, 63-year-old Bruce Walters started feeling flu-like symptoms. Infection had spread through his body and he almost lost a leg.

"If I would have slept another night in bed, I might not have lived past that point," said Bruce Walters.

Fortunately, he's healed and now is doing well, but only after three weeks in the hospital including five surgeries.

"It's scary to think this can happen from a minor incident," said Walters' surgeon, Dr. John Steinberg. "A minor break in the nail can actually be an entry point for dangerous bacteria."

Infections from nail salons are rare but they do happen. Experts recommend making sure your nail tech only uses sterilized instruments.

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File