WBIW.com News - state
Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana
More Than 35,000 Without Power in Central Indiana
Last updated on Sunday, January 5, 2014
(INDIANAPOLIS) - More than 35,000 people are without power in central Indiana as a major winter storm system bears down on the state Sunday.
Duke Energy reported over 6,500 without power at 6 pm, while Indianapolis Power and Light had over 29,000 outages.
It has gotten the attention of city leaders, too. Mayor Greg Ballard and other officials put out a warning for everyone to stay inside.
IPL customers should report outages or downed power lines to 317-261-8111. Duke customers should call 1-800-343-3525.
Be safe at home:
- Avoid using appliances such as stoves for heating your home.
- When using an alternate heat source such as fireplace, wood stove, portable/kerosene heater or electric heaters, use caution, practice fire safety, provide for proper ventilation and follow all manufacturers' safety guidelines.
- Make sure smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are working properly.
- If you use candles, be careful with them. Remember to keep them away from children and combustible materials and never leave lit candles unattended.
Be smart about energy use:
- Close all doors, windows and screens. You may want to purchase inexpensive window kits to cover unused windows and doors with plastic.
- Turn the heat down before you leave your home during the day and again at night.
- Prevent drafts by closing fireplace dampers when not in use.
- Clean dryer lint traps and exhaust vents and change furnace filters.
- For more tips on increasing your energy-efficiency year-round, go to www.iplpower.com/Residential/Home_Energy_Savings
Be prepared for emergencies:
- Create an emergency kit with flashlights, extra batteries, first aid supplies and all necessary medications.
- Cordless phones will not operate without electricity. Make sure cell phones are fully-charged.
- If your power goes out, first, carefully check for blown fuses or confirm your circuit breaker is in the "on" position. Also, see if your neighbors have electricity to determine if the problem is isolated to your electric system, or if you should report your outage to IPL.
1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Click here to go back to previous page