(UNDATED) - Hazmat crews were called to the scene of a possible benzene spill Wednesday night at a plant on Indianapolis' southwest side.
Captain Mike Pruitt with the Wayne Township Fire Department says officials at the Vertellus Specialties plant at 1500 South Tibbs Avenue were concerned of a possible benzene leak and one of their employees had been exposed.
Hazmat crews found a crack in a 10,000 gallon tank which had been emptied but may have had residual product inside.
Pruitt says the employee had been exposed to benzene vapor. He was decontaminated and taken to Eskenazi Health in good condition.
Investigators believe the tank was cracked while employees were steam cleaning it. Pruitt says no actual benzene product spilled out of the tank.
Pruitt says Vertellus officials immediately began monitoring the area around the plant and found no danger. Fire department crews found no additional danger inside the plant.
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org