(INDIANAPOLIS) - The Indiana Attorney General's Office announced Monday 24 more school districts will be joining the state's challenge against the Affordable Care Act.
Back in October, the state and 15 public school corporations announced a plan to launch a lawsuit against the Internal Revenue Service over a part of the Affordable Care Act (ACA). Read the full complaint from October here.
This week, the attorney general's office revealed 24 additional school districts will join that lawsuit. The amended complaint including the new schools was filed in federal court Monday, with the State of Indiana serving as the lead plaintiff.
Zoeller said the challenge represents school districts with unwanted fines.
"We don't make policy decisions," Zoeller said back in October. "The arguments in Washington stay in Washington. This is a respectful question that goes to the fundamental relationship between the federal government and the state of Indiana."
The United States Department of the Treasury, the U.S. Department of Labor and U.S. Department of Health and Human Services have also been named as defendants in the suit.
"It is unprecedented in the history of the United States that 39 public schools have joined together in a single lawsuit against the IRS. The significant participation of Indiana public schools in this lawsuit underscores the debilitating impact that the employer penalties are having upon public education," Attorney Jim Hamilton said.
Hamilton is an attorney at Bose McKinney & Evans LLP, which is representing the public schools.
"All Indiana public school corporations provide comprehensive health insurance coverage to most of their employees," Hamilton said. "However, the practical reality is that most Indiana public school corporations do not have the financial resources to provide affordable, minimum value coverage to all employees who work in excess of 30 hours of service per week."
The plaintiff school corporations added include:
- Area 30 Career Center Education Interlocal
- Charles A. Beard Memorial School Corporation
- Cloverdale Community School Corporation
- Daleville Community Schools
- Eastern Howard School Corporation
- East Porter County School Corporation
- Eminence Community School Corporation
- Fayette County School Corporation
- Greencastle Community School Corporation
- Monroe Central School Corporation
- Nettle Creek School Corporation
- Northeastern Wayne School Corporation
- North Putnam Community School Corporation
- Northwestern School Corporation
- North West Hendricks School Corporation
- Old National Trail Special Services Cooperative
- Salem Community Schools
- Shelby Eastern School Corporation
- South Gibson School Corporation
- South Putnam Community School Corporation
- Taylor Community School Corporation
- Union School Corporation
- Western School Corporation
- Western Wayne Schools
School corporations already a part of the suit:
- Benton Community School Corporation
- Community School Corporation of Eastern Hancock County
- John Glenn School Corporation
- Madison Consolidated Schools
- Metropolitan School District of Martinsville
- Monroe-Gregg School District
- Mooresville Consolidated School Corporation
- North Lawrence Community Schools
- Northwestern Consolidated School District of Shelby County
- Perry Central Community Schools
- Shelbyville Central Schools
- South Henry School Corporation
- Southwest Parke Community School Corporation
- Southwestern Jefferson County Consolidated School Corporation
- Vincennes Community School Corporation
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to email@example.com