News Sections
Merrillville Family Found Dead Of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Updated October 18, 2013 7:03 AM
 Print    Archive    RSS

(MERRILLVILLE) - A Merrillville family, including two children, was found dead of apparent carbon monoxide poisoning in their home Wednesday evening.

The Lake County Coroner's Office says the bodies of Micheal Nichols, Kennetha Purnell and children Matthew and Morgan Nichols were found in a home in the 800 block of W. 70th Avenue around 6:30 p.m. A family member discovered the bodies after checking on the family.

The manner and cause of death were still pending, but police say a generator found in the home's garage was a possible source of carbon monoxide. Merrillville Police Chief Joseph Petruch said the rental house did not have power and that the deaths were "an unfortunate accident."

Police told the Chicago Tribune none of the victims appeared to suffer traumatic injuries. Petruch believes the family could have died as early as Saturday, but were just discovered Wednesday evening.

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File