(MOORESVILLE) - A woman was taken to the hospital after a hazardous materials incident in Mooresville.
Officials say the woman came in with a substance she had found in a storage unit. She didn't know what it was, so she brought it to the police department.
While there, she touched the substance then touched her lips and started to complain of burning to her lips and numbness in her fingers.
The substance was determined to be Calcium Carbide. The compound has a chemical reaction when it comes in contact with water. It creates a flammable gas that is used as industrial fuel. Some countries use Calcium Carbide because it is cheaper to make and use than petroleum.
The woman was awake and alert before being taken to Methodist Hospital.
A Hazmat Team was called in to clean up the rest of the substance.
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org