WBIW.com News - state

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Report: Baby Died From Drug Overdose Through Mom's Breast Milk

Last updated on Wednesday, September 4, 2013

(SACRAMENTO, Calif.) - Ryder Salmen died in September 2012 after overdosing on a fatal cocktail of Xanax, methadone and the painkiller Opana, officials confirmed.

Records showed a delay by Sacramento County Child Protective Services in responding to the case of the infant who was considered at risk after tests found he was exposed to drugs through his mother's milk, 10news.com reported.

The 8-month-old boy's mother had been warned five months earlier to stop breastfeeding because of high levels of methadone found in her baby's bloodstream.

Documents obtained under the California Public Records Act by the Sacramento Bee show that social workers were required to create a safety plan for Ryder for him to remain in his mother's custody.

However, the Bee found evidence of delay in completing the safety assessment in Ryder's case.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page