WBIW.com News - state

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Dog Saves Owner From Buring House

Last updated on Wednesday, August 21, 2013

(EVANSVILLE) - A dog in southern Indiana lived up to the “man’s best friend” saying early Tuesday by causing enough of a ruckus to awaken his owner during a house fire.

A dispatcher in Evansville said the fire broke out at a home in the 100 block of East Iowa Street just before 12:30 a.m. Firefighters were able to put the fire out within a half-hour, but not before it did extensive damage to the home.

Robert Shadrick, who was outside the home later Tuesday morning, credited his German Shepherd, Max, with making him aware of the fire so he could get out alive.

Shadrick told the Evansville Courier & Press that Max started barking when the fire broke out and ran away in the aftermath of the fire. Shadrick said he later found Max on a nearby street.

"Max got to raising so much hell that I got out of bed and (saw) my kitchen totally engulfed in flames," Shadrick posted on Facebook. "I would have to say he is my guardian angel."

Shadrick said he lost everything he owns, but is just happy to be alive.

"Thank you, Max. You are my HERO," Shadrick posted.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page