News Sections
Dog Saves Owner From Buring House
Updated August 20, 2013 3:44 PM | Filed under: Fire
 Print    Archive    RSS

(EVANSVILLE) - A dog in southern Indiana lived up to the "man's best friend" saying early Tuesday by causing enough of a ruckus to awaken his owner during a house fire.

A dispatcher in Evansville said the fire broke out at a home in the 100 block of East Iowa Street just before 12:30 a.m. Firefighters were able to put the fire out within a half-hour, but not before it did extensive damage to the home.

Robert Shadrick, who was outside the home later Tuesday morning, credited his German Shepherd, Max, with making him aware of the fire so he could get out alive.

Shadrick told the Evansville Courier & Press that Max started barking when the fire broke out and ran away in the aftermath of the fire. Shadrick said he later found Max on a nearby street.

"Max got to raising so much hell that I got out of bed and (saw) my kitchen totally engulfed in flames," Shadrick posted on Facebook. "I would have to say he is my guardian angel."

Shadrick said he lost everything he owns, but is just happy to be alive.

"Thank you, Max. You are my HERO," Shadrick posted.

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File