(WEST LAFAYETTE) - Purdue University experts say heavy rains that have soaked much of Indiana in recent weeks could raise mold problems for homeowners.
Purdue Mold Team coordinator Mary Lou Elbert says any home with moisture damage will have mold problems, so homeowners should fix the damage as soon as possible. Mold can begin growing just a day or two after water damage.
Mold can spread rapidly, growing on nearly any material. Dampness and heat create an ideal environment for mold.
Purdue Extension health and human services educator Terri Newcom says residents who spot mold in their home or even just suspect they have it should contact the Mold Team for help. She says mold can begin growing 24 to 48 hours after water damage.
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org